Thursday, 18 December 2014

Sewing Gift Wrapping

A few days ago I was wrapping some Christmas gifts when I got stuck a bit. There was one small present, oddly shaped that I simply couldn't wrap up the way I planned. I needed a break, you know, gift wrapping can be an exhausting job sometimes. I thought it was a good excuse to check out some of the blogs I enjoy. I was lucky because Dina at Little by Little by Bossymamma just published a new post How A Stitcher Should Wrap Christmas Gifts. I loved the idea and it worked perfectly for my small and oddly shaped gift. I liked it so much that I decided to wrap the most of the presents this way this year.


While "wrapping" the gifts or should I say "sewing the wrapping" I came across a few challenges. So I thought I would share a few tips with you that might save you some time, paper and keep your frustration at bay if you decide to use this method.
  • Choose gifts that are not too big, quite flat and don't have sharp sticking out parts. Soft gifts are the best.
  • Use strong craft paper, if you want to use wrapping paper, make sure that it's quite thick and strong too.
  • Wrap your present in some cellophane or tissue paper before putting it inside the wrapping. It would soften any pointy corners and prevent the paper from ripping.
  • Plan before you start sewing where you want to start and finish because half way through you might realise that the gift is too big to go through the machine or pulling too much and ripping the paper.
There are a few ways to sew the wrapping:
  1.  You might want to put your present between two layers of paper and stitch around but make sure that the present is small enough to go through the machine.
  2. Another way is to sew the wrapping half way, then carefully push your present inside and finish sewing.
  3. Or you can leave the top part open and tie it with a ribbon.
  • Once it's done, cut around the contour about 0.5cm from the seam.
  • Attach a tag or a ribbon.
I chose the second method. I started sewing the stocking on the right side, went all the way down around and up (to where laces would be on a normal boot). Lifted the pressure foot and the needle so I would not rip the paper, carefully, without moving the stocking too much pushed the present inside, lowered the pressure foot and the needle and finished sewing. A bit fiddly but worth all the effort.


Happy Christmas preparations everybody! Larisa xox

10 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Thanks for the tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina! Hope you find it helpful.

      Delete
  2. These are just so fab! I have received packages in the mail that were sewn envelopes and they were very effective too : ) Good luck with all your finishing touches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Sewn envelopes sound like a great idea too and would be less fiddly as well. :-)

      Delete
  3. Your presents look lovely. The tips are very useful and I have shared a link to this post on my original post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dina, for sharing the tips on your blog. :-)

      Delete
  4. Dear Larissa
    I don't know how to thank you enough for going to all the trouble of recreating your wonderful card. When I saw it on Flickr I lusted after it and didn't think I would be so lucky! I am so sorry the first one went adrift and appreciate that you also incurred extra cost in resending it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, I am SO HAPPY that you finally received the ATC. Better later than never, right? It was no trouble at all to recreate the same card. I felt so sorry that the first one got lost on the way and I really wanted you to have it and tried making the second one as close to the original as possible. It was great to have you as my secrete partner! :-)

      Delete
  5. I so love your work and am just delighted to receive this, I have thanked Ali too for organising this great swap. I adore the way you have packaged it too. Thank You so much. have a great day.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really happy that you like things I make and that they inspire you in some ways to create something new. It was a great swap with so many interesting, inspiring and creative cards. Ali is so great at organising it.

      Delete