4 cups frozen pitted cherries (cut in half if too big)
1tsp Vanilla Extract
50g + 150g cold butter
2tbs + 2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup + 2tbs sugar
1. Make pastry. Place flour in a bowl, roll the block of butter in flour and grate straight into the flour on a large grater. Add 2tbs sugar and mix gently with your fingers until the mixture resembles large crumbs. Add 5-7 tbs cold water. Mix it gently until it just all comes together (but still quite lumpy/flaky). Form a flat round and put it in a plastic bag. Refrigerate for an hour or overnight.
2. When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 200°C.
3. In a large bowl mix together cherries, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla and 2tbs flour. Stir well.
4. Roll pastry into a large round about 0.5-0.8cm thick. Prick with a fork. Top with cherries, spread well leaving a 3-5cm border. Fold in the edges, brush with milk. Dot with remaining butter (this is optional).
5. Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown. Serve with cream or ice cream and a cup of tea. Enjoy!
Important Note: Make sure that you do not put too much water and do not over mix the dough. It has to be quite dry and lumpy (flaky).
One more note: You can use any fruit or berries (fresh or frozen) for the topping really. In summer I like sliced peaches with vanilla bean paste.