Friday 27 February 2015

A New Cover...

...for an ice pack. It's been hot. Really hot and humid over the last three weeks. I don't like it because I can't spend as much time outside as I wish. I find it really hard to cope with the heat, but I worked out a simple solution to deal with it (apart from an air conditioned environment of course). A small ice pack that I keep next to me throughout the day and put it on my knees, neck or chest. An instant cooler. What a relief!


A not nice looking ice pack came with a not nice looking cover when I bought it. Every time I pulled the cover over the ice pack, I cringed because I didn't like the way it looked. So I decided to make my own, the one I would like. Plus when you are hurt and need an ice pack, I think such a bright joyful flower will definitely help settle the pain down.


A pack of paper hexagons, a gift from Gina, came in very handy. Soft stretchy linen, cotton and a bit of lace. That's all what I used for this project. A running stitch in dark red around the flower and around the edge of the cover to give a more "handmade" look to it.


The back is even more simple than the front. Just a bit of binding along one edge. This linen/cotton blend is very soft and feels quite pleasant on the skin.


I used cotton wadding to make the cover softer and to keep the temperature better. For the inside I went for a rather unusual choice - muslin in plain white. I hope it absorbs the moister better too.


So this is where this pretty red and white hexagon flower ended up, on my own ice pack cover that I love and use a lot at the moment because it seems like the hot weather does not want to leave just yet. Hope you are staying cool! Larisa xox

7 comments:

  1. What a good idea! It's horrid feeling too hot so to have a pretty cover on the ice pack is really cheering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the last thing I would have thought of! Poor you, hope it soon all cools down and then you can enjoy the outdoors,

      Delete
  2. And that is the great thing about sewing...if you need something, you can sew it up and it is cuter than anything you could have found at the store!!! Your hexies make that the coolest ice pack ever ;)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Gina! I passed by so many things at the shops because I know that now I can make it and make it the way I like it. I just wish I had more time for sewing. Hexies are so addictive... :-)

      Delete
  3. So pretty, I have just whizzed up a rice bag to freeze for Hubby who has somehow injured his knee. It is rather swollen and painful. Mine is nowhere near as pretty as yours but then I guess he might not appreciate pretty like I do!! I love your hexies, I am hoping to start having a little go with hexies soon. Not too sure how it will go but I won't know if I don't try!! Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your Husband is much better by now and not in pain any longer. I use barley or buckwheat as well for my heat/cold packs, these grains work great. Have you started working on hexies? I hope you have but be careful... they are a way too addictive. :-) Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. So pretty, I have just whizzed up a rice bag to freeze for Hubby who has somehow injured his knee. It is rather swollen and painful. Mine is nowhere near as pretty as yours but then I guess he might not appreciate pretty like I do!! I love your hexies, I am hoping to start having a little go with hexies soon. Not too sure how it will go but I won't know if I don't try!! Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete