Wednesday 11 February 2015

Totally Scrappy Baby Mat

I have finished my scrappy challenge that was turned into a mat for a baby. A change mat or just a lie down mat. It should be a perfect size for a bassinet, about 43cm by 64cm. A bit of colour and prettiness for a very little one.


I was determined to use up as many of little scraps as possible for this project. I pulled out my scraps box full of large and small pieces of fabric and began the work. Some time ago a task of mixing different prints and colours would've scared me a lot and got me in a state of a total stupor/inaction.


But this time I simply enjoyed the process of putting together all these tiny scraps, almost like playing a puzzle and following one rule only - no two of the same prints should be next to each other. Do you see that small red piece under the teddy bear? It's the smallest of them all. Only 1/4" by 2". Very tiny.


I enjoyed adding a bit of hand embroidery as well. The teddy bear, some of the letters of the alphabet, a bit of running writing and running stitches here and there as well.


At some stage I almost cut up my newly finds and fabrics from my stash that I haven't used yet, but I am proud to say that I stopped just in time and got back to the box full of little "scrappies" and did not cut any new pieces.


All in total I put together 92 pieces. Yes, I counted them, just out of curiosity. Sounds like a lot but when I looked inside the box it still seemed quite full of scraps to me. Maybe I should make another mat like that and then another one.


It's a great way of using the scraps you have. After you put them together, you can turn your piece of art into anything you like - a small quilt, a mini wall hanging, a place mat, a sewing machine cover, a doll quilt, a hot pot stand, a little tote bag, pincushions, notepad covers...


The list of ideas and possibilities is really endless when it comes to scraps. Have a wonderful week everybody! Larisa xox

10 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, all your lively Belle and Boo and kiddy fabrics are wonderful, your clever quilting and neat presentation are superb, a very lucky baby will receive this. It does give inspiration though to sort through all those scraps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Carole, for the lovely comment! It really is quite satisfying to sort out and use up fabric scraps.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. No, I used my sewing machine. I am not that patient really to sew it all by hand. :-)

      Delete
  3. This is so pretty! My favorite baby blankets are scrappy ones! I love all of the cute woodland animals, strawberries, mushrooms and embroidery in there. I have as much fun with the ispy quilts as kids do :). Beautiful work Larissa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Gina, for your kind words! I think this is what I like about scrappy items too - playing "I Spy", you always find something new and it never gets boring. :-)

      Delete
  4. It's so cute! I love working with scraps - it's like producing something that costs nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dina! Absolutely! Mixing up all the scraps, you create your own fabric. :-)

      Delete
  5. It is really pretty, and proper patchwork too!

    ReplyDelete