Thursday 26 March 2015

Almost Gave Up

"Patchwork, Please!", a book by Ayumi Takahashi that is full of lovely and inspiring projects. I bought it because I wanted to make "You've Got Mail Wall Pocket" or to be more precise to play around with the paper pieced envelope blocks and try out some other interesting ideas.


I kept looking at the diamond placemat for a while and a few days ago I decided to give it a go. I am bad at reading and following instructions, I have no patience whatsoever. As always, I simply printed out the template for the diamond block and tried the patchwork. But only after two diamonds I gave up, I felt like it was too challenging and too difficult. I will blame the hot weather on that morning. Hehe...


When these two diamonds were ready, I had to use them somehow, I could not leave them for better times. So I made a tiny (less than half of the original size) placemat. Good enough for an afternoon cup of tea in a company of a good book or a magazine.


I used two shades of linen for the base, added a few lazy daisies, running stitches around the diamonds. The label with the green button made a perfect match for this mat, so as the cotton ribbon with tiny flowers. For the back of the mat I used the same purple with white polka dots cotton.


The funny thing is that once the mat was ready, I fell in love with it and with the diamond patchwork. I even felt a bit sorry that I didn't finish all four diamonds. But on the other hand I am glad that I made my own version that I like and it will give me more encouragement for my next attempt at this patchwork. I almost gave up but not completely and that's a happy thing. Happy days everybody! Larisa xox

Note: This post was written in February but only now I got a chance to finish and publish it.

11 comments:

  1. I have Ayumi's book and have made the mail organizer and the prettified pin cushion. Your snack mat is so pretty and springy! I have no doubt that you will make and conquer the placemat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mail organiser you made, Gina! The ideas are really cute in this book. Hope you are having a lovely Easter break!

      Delete
  2. It's lovely, Larisa, and your attention to detail is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dina! Working on small details is always the most fun part for me.

      Delete
  3. It really is lovely. The flowers, the ribbon, the tab, all the tiny details really finish it off! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! I am happy how it all came together without much planning, just stitch as you go.

      Delete
  4. It really is lovely. The flowers, the ribbon, the tab, all the tiny details really finish it off! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larissa it is beautiful, I can't imagine you not having patience, your work is so gorgeous and neat. How did you find time with baby too? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carole! I truly am NOT a very patient person in many respects but somehow with sewing it changed dramatically. :-)

      Delete
  6. Just realised this was done pre baby! Gorgeous all the same!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. Life is different now, hardly have time for anything but... I am still trying to sneak a few minutes here and there to work on something creative. :-)

      Delete