Sunday 21 June 2015

Dressed in Red

Dots, stripes, tiny flowers...why not dress some tins and jars up a bit in something pretty? Patchwork "coats" for baking powder tins to store small scraps of linen and some sewing tools. A stripy "scarf" for the mini jar to match the red lid and a fancy thread catcher. A collapsable thread catcher it is. Have you seen them?


I saw the one Sharon at Creativity and Family made recently. She provided a link on her blog for a video tutorial on how to make it. Thank you, Sharon! I had to have one, I really had to. So I made one with tiny flowers. It's great! I love that when you don't need it, it collapses in an almost flat round.


Well, almost in my case. I made the frame a bit too wide but I still like how it turned out.


When you don't need it, simply twist and push the bottom up and it's ready to be stored away. And it catches all the threads inside! It's also great to take with you in your sewing folder since it's does not take up too much room.


For the tin "coats", I sewn together long stripes of three different cottons. Then I cut them vertically and diagonally, turned some pieces around a bit and stitched them back again. Added buttons and elastic for an easy dressing up process.


Off I go now with my fancy thread catcher to do some tiny cross stitch embroidery. It feels like ages since I have done any really. I am not sure yet what I am going to use it for but I am simply going to enjoy fiddling with some embroidery floss and lovely German linen and of course I am going to use my thread catcher. :-) Have a wonderful day! Larisa xox

9 comments:

  1. So pretty!!! I love the fabric you chose and so handy how the thread catcher compacts down for easy transport!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina! Red and white polka dots are always so cheery, they brighten up a place beautifully. :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely ideas Larissa. How do you find time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carole! Truly, a few stitches at a time. :-) I am lucky to have my own tiny creative space with a desk so I don't have to pack away a project I am working on and can come back to it whenever I have a few spare minutes.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your pieces look so lovely in their matching colours. I must make one of the collapsible thread catchers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dina! The thread catcher was really easy to make and it's a fun project too. I have to admit, I kept plying with it all day long after it was finished. :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Larissa. Thanks for the link. It is lovely to know when someone gets inspiration from my site, the whole reason I am doing it is to share and hopefully give back a bit because I get so much inspiration myself from you all out there. I love the tin and jar jackets, what a lovely idea and so pretty. I have so many pots I could do that with :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon, for sharing the link and your creations with us. I love my thread catcher. :-) That's what I like about blogging too - getting inspired by work of so many talented crafty people out there.

      Delete