Sunday 16 October 2016

Choosing my Threads

I have to say at the very beginning that this is not a review in any way and not a recommendation. It's purely my opinion and my own search in products suitable for my own needs when it comes to sewing and quilting. I always enjoy adding small stitches to my little makes. Generally I use DMC Embroidery Floss, but lately I have been using a few other threads and wanted to share my finds with you, my dear readers.


I have seen a lot of people use Aurifil threads and all the comments were very positive. So I decided to buy just a few colours to use for some fine stitches because Aurifil is quite a pricey choice unfortunately. I was very excited to give Aurifil a go. My first impression was that it looked and felt a lot like DMC embroidery floss. It got me thinking. What if I make a few stitches in different types of threads just to see how they look and feel like next to each other? I chose these four red threads:


1. Gutermann Quilting Cotton - a strong thread with a silk-like luster for hand quilting.

2. Aurifil - six-strand embroidery floss that can be separated into one or more strands or used as it is.

3. Gutermann Top Stitch - a heavy duty polyester thread. (This one surprised me)
4. DMC Cotton Embroidery Floss that, as the Aurifil, can be separated into a number of strands.


For the stitches bellow (from left to right) I used Gutermann quilting cotton in 2 strands; Aurifil in 2 strands; Top Stitch polyester in 1 strand and DMC floss in 2 strands. Can you tell any difference? Do you like one more than the other? I have to say that all four of these threads were easy to quilt with (I used two layers of linen and one layer of bamboo batting) and they all look lovely to me.



Working with these threads is easy. They don't really tangle and don't snap like many other kinds of threads. They pull through layers of fabric quite smoothly. I was surprised with the Top Stitch thread. I am not a fan of any polyester fibers, but this particular thread is good, especially when a single strand is used, as it gives a lovely finish when thicker items are made. I used it on the baby bib and some other recent makes. Aurifil, on the other hand, is lovely for more delicate materials, like Liberty, for example, or light weight cottons. Hand Quilting Cotton is perfect for working on patchwork using light to medium weight cottons. DMC floss is great for many different things as well as working with felt, but I have to say that when working with really tiny felt pieces I prefer to use Gutermann Hand Quilting Cotton and a very thin needle. Sometimes I run DMC floss through a piece of wax just to give it a bit more strength when working with heavier fabrics.

What is your favourite thread? Do you stick with one brand or you like to swap between a few? Do you find some threads easier to work with than others? I would love to hear from you! Have a great week! Larisa xox

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing this! It's so helpful. I haven't yet bought Aurifil because of the price. I'm not a fan of polyester in general, but that Gueterman Top Stitch looks really nice and smooth!
    ❤️❤️Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you find this helpful, Lisa! I feel the same way about Aurifil and only have six spools of it (five bought and I won as a giveaway). :-) I was pleasantly surprised with the Top Stitch thread as I always stay away from any polyester fabric or threads. But this one is good, especially for heavier fabrics and linen. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. Larisa xox

      Delete