Tuesday 25 November 2014

Just a Sneak Peek: Building Blocks

Picture in a frame, in a frame and in a frame... That's how I am calling these simple symmetrical quilting blocks. I know I said that I am not a quilter but quilting is addictive. Really! It's like a kid's game of building blocks. Using blocks of different sizes and colours you can build a whole castle in a matter of minutes.


Same with quilting. You get different bits and pieces of fabric and construct something totally new. After looking at the pillows that I made some time ago, I realised that it would be easy to make a whole quilt using this kind of framed blocks.


The idea is that each block has a cute square picture in the middle, then you surround it with a white or colour frame, depending on the background of the picture in the middle.


When you have enough blocks, you make something like that. It's just a raw idea that is shaping up slowly. Plenty of questions still. What kind of binding? What type of quilting? Hand or machine? White or in colour? What to use for the back?


I am sure that all the answers will come to me once I am ready but for now I am playing. Playing with my building blocks. Just like a kid getting lost in a magical world of colours, shapes and cute things. Larisa xox

6 comments:

  1. This is going to be a beautiful quilt!!! So glad you are having fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope so, Gina! You were right about quilting being addictive. :-)

      Delete
  2. It's lovely, Larisa, and would be great for adults or children

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dina! I would not say never but I don't think I would ever be able to manage a large quilt though it would be nice to make something like that for myself. :-)

      Delete
  3. Delightful use of color here! I just love how you mix the light and dark values, adding a new dimension to the design. Those deer are just darling too. It adds up to so much more than just the starting idea when you see it in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I am surprising myself here with the mix of different prints, colours and values, that's what always scares me the most in quilting.

      Delete