Thursday 9 January 2014

Sketching

It's been a long while since I sketched or painted last time. I am hoping that this year I can get back to learning and practicing Sumi-e, the "art of one brush stroke". It's a very relaxing and even meditating process, from the moment you start making ink to the very last stroke of the brush. I hope I make more time available for pencil sketching, drawing and simply doodling. I used to carry a small notepad in my bag at the very beginning of last year but then the rush of everyday life took over and the notepad was left on the shelf collecting dust.



But this year I am getting back to the things I enjoy, to simple things that make me happy and help me live in the moment. I had an idea for a small embroidery of wildflowers arranged in a ring but all the tiny flowers and colours were getting a bit muddled up in my head. I had to have a visual guide in front of me so I made this sketch. It's very simple but looks quite nice. A combination of forget-me-nots, wild violets, buttercups and some other amazingly beautiful wildflowers.


The embroidery floss is ready, the hoop is waiting, so is my favourite needle. I am off to start working on this design. Hope I have enough patience for these teensy-weensy flowers and they look as good on fabric as on paper.

4 comments:

  1. The sketch is so pretty. I look forward to seeing the completed embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It might take some time, these tiny flowers are more challenging than I expected. :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are an amazing artist Larisa!!! I have seen your stitching and believe it will turn out as lovely on fabric as it is on paper! On the off chance it doesn't , I think you should frame the sketch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are too kind, I am just learning. You gave me a nice idea about framing the sketch. Thank you!

      Delete