Monday 16 February 2015

Pretty Hexagons and Tiny Stitches

You can never have enough of these simple sewing accessories. Pincushions and needle books, I mean. Right? And it's always a lovely gift for your crafty friends.


There was a charm size piece of Little Red Riding Hood fabric by Tasha Noel in the package that Gina sent me. I have been looking at this line for a long time but never bought it. It really is pretty.


So when I saw this tiny piece in the parcel, I got very excited and felt like making something with this fabric right away. I thought of making some fabric covered buttons first but then another idea came to my mind. Hexagons. Tiny hexagons.


I managed to make just two when a clear picture grew in my head. A sewing set of course! One hexagon for a pincushion and one for a needle book. The rest was just quick machine sewing. I think I am in love with red and pink combination.


I used a backstitch in brown to outline the hexagons and to separate the pink cotton fabric from linen. Then I added tiny running stitches in dark red to emphasise the flowers and toadstools inside the hexagons.


This project didn't take much time to complete but it was a very spontaneous and enjoyable process. I like making hexagons and stitching them together and applying them on to other fabrics. It's a lovely combination of hand and machine sewing. Have a wonderful week everybody! Larisa xox

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colours and a thrifty use of hexies, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am addicted to pink, I always was. :-) Hexagons used to look old-fashioned to me until not long ago, but now I really enjoy making them and sewing things using them as well.

      Delete
  2. Oh, what a pretty set, Larisa. Anyone would be thrilled to receive it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dina! The set turned out much better than I expected.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, that fabric made the prettiest hexies!!!! This is such a sweet set and I love the color combo too. You sure do know how to make the most of a little piece of fabric!!! Well done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina, for that tiny precious piece of fabric that inspired me to make this set. :-) Absolutely love pink and red!

      Delete