Tuesday 20 May 2014

Mama's Little Helper

May I show you something precious? Do you see these two little aprons? Well, they are very special. No, no. I was not the one who made them. It was my Dear Mama who made them many years ago for my son when he was tiny.

You see, even after suffering two strokes and losing partial control in her right arm and hand, Mum kept sewing, knitting, embroidering and crocheting. The things she produced were not as neat and delicate as before the strokes and she complained a lot at times. But with time passing by, Mum learnt to simply enjoy the process and ignore the crooked lines and stitches, but it was not easy.


So no wonder these two little aprons are extra special and very dear to my heart. Even though the seams are not straight and the colours are not that great (Mum just loved to recycle things and use whatever she had at hand), they were made with deep love and care, and they made our cooking times with my Little Man very special and fun.

Well, I have made two aprons for little girls copying my Mum's pattern. One piece apron with a very narrow bias binding and a pocket. I didn't add many details for two reasons. One - I wanted to keep the style very close to Mum's original pattern and two - Belle & Boo fabrics are just pretty on its own, without any extra details. I think so anyway.




The aprons come in small gift bags with pretty pictures and ribbon ties. Great for storing aprons or maybe some cookie cutters.



I have to admit, I am not a big fan of binding, especially the very narrow one like on these aprons, but it gives such a lovely and delicate look to the finished aprons. I struggled, and had to resew the binding a few times, I was close to changing the pattern out of frustration but I persisted.


I think Mum would've loved the aprons for Little Helpers I've made and would've been surprised to see me being so patient and persistent with sewing.

Happy sewing everybody! Larisa xo

6 comments:

  1. Lovely post and your Mum would be really proud of your achievements - those aprons are so pretty I wish I had a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! My Mum would've loved seeing me sewing and enjoying it so much. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. sweet aprons!!! and the bags they come in are every bit as cute, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They turned out quite well. Things for girls are always so pretty and cute, especially if they are done with Belle & Boo. :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for telling the story of how your Mum continued to craft - what an inspiration she has been. The aprons and bags are delightful, the little girls who receive them should love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My Mum was a very talented and creative person, and a very strong as well. I am so grateful for all the things she taught me.

      Delete