Friday 30 May 2014

Pretty Little Fairies

I've had this pink fabric with pretty little fairies for a while but was not sure what to use it for. After I made the log cabin zippy, I thought that a little pouch would be a great idea for this print. I was going to make one with a zip but instead I came up with this.


Two pretty purses that I made using the same method as for these make-up bags that were made a while ago. The only difference is that the body of the purse is quilted and the bottom is not square, otherwise, it's almost the same.

The first purse I made was the one with the snap fastener. As you can see, it has a more rounded flap and the bottom corners. Even though I really like the look of the snap fasteners, I find them a bit tricky to use.


The reason is that they are quite hard to snap and even harder to open. It feels like you are going to pull and rip the fabric while opening the purse. Maybe it's just me and I got a faulty pack of snaps but still my favourite are magnetic snap fasteners.


I really like how easy they snap and open and that when you use magnetic fasteners, you can leave the front of the flap plain or use a button like here or a fabric yo-yo like here or anything else to decorate the flap with.


I was lucky to have this fabric with tiny love hearts in various colours in my stash. What a perfect match for the fairies!


So as the ribbon that I used for the tag. Tiny hearts to keep up with the theme and a little birdie of the same shape.


I am glad that I made the second purse and fixed up all the small things I didn't like in the first one. The second one has a more squarish flap, slightly less rounded corners and a magnetic snap. The flap has a better shape and feel to it thanks to Vilene H630 lightweight iron-on wadding that I was lucky to get from a local store. Yay! It's my new absolutely favourite product.


Have a productive, creative and a very happy weekend! Larisa xo

8 comments:

  1. such a pretty purse. I used to love making pretty little pouches and purses when my daughter was a bit younger, then she suddenly became 13! I love the little label x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I feel sad that little ones grow up too quickly but this is life. I enjoy making things like that just for fun and as gifts for our friend's little kiddies.

      Delete
  2. cute little purses! I have had the same trouble with snaps and avoid hem. the lining and tag are a perfect match with the fairy fabric. did you make and stamp the tag...its adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina! I am going to avoid snaps even more now. The tag is a store bought ribbon. But you gave me a new idea, I always wanted to give stamp carving a go since it's not that easy to find tiny cute stamps that you need.

      Delete
  3. Lovely little pouches. I struggle with both types of fastener but find that the magnetic ones benefit from having a cost of clear nail varnish on both parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dina! I have never heard of this trick. But I have to say that I've been lucky with the magnetic snaps I got, they are really easy to use. Will keep this idea in my notes. :-)

      Delete
  4. These are very sweet! Thanks for the heads up re the snaps and iron on wadding:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! It's great to be able to find the products that deliver the results you are looking for. This wadding is great!

      Delete