Monday 1 September 2014

Artist's Trading Card Swap "Getting Away From It All" Part Two

Yay! It's finished and ready to be send away. ATC number two that I completed for the swap organised by Ali of VeryBerryHandmade. The second card has been inspired by my passion for figure skating. Ice rink is a great "get away from it all" place for me. Ice rink is the place where my heart sings, where I can forget about anything, well, almost anything. It's the place where I feel like a little careless girl again.


When I was little, about seven, I got sick and I had to limit any physical activities for a while. Doctors told me that I should spend time playing outside (it was winter) but I should be careful, a gentle ride on a sleigh was alright but my skates had to wait for almost six months. A few days later I got out my skates, quietly put them on and sneaked outside... but my Mum, who was coming back home at that very moment, got me right on time. I got into a such long discussion with her, trying to convince her that she was the one who misunderstood the doctor's orders. Ice skating was absolutely fine for me but rinding on sleigh was totally out of question. Well, needless to say, my attempts were not very successful and my skates were hidden away till next winter.


I really enjoyed making this card. Based on a sketch that I made some time ago, I used hand embroidery - plenty of french knots, back stitches and running stitches. A tiny bit of applique using cotton and some lace, and of course a lot of joy. It's a very simple and cartoonish card but I like it. I hope the Lady, I am sending this card to, likes it too.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure she'll love it I know I would but then I used to love skating too and took every opportunity I could to get to the rink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So you are a skater too. What a fun sport it is! :-)

      Delete
  2. I so love the way use your drawing skills, this is such a beautiful card and you have been so creative with your use of embroidery stitches and subtle well coordinated colours. love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! I try as often as I can to use my own designs in my work. It doesn't always work out the way I want but it's a great challenge for me.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure whoever receives it will be thrilled to receive this beautiful card - doubly so if she reads the tale you have related!

    ReplyDelete
  4. darling embroidery!! i love this and it looks like something a fabric line could be inspired from!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I haven't thought of that but... it might make a nice print. :-) Thank you!

      Delete