Tuesday 12 April 2016

Tutorial: Interfacing Applique

There are many different methods available when it comes to applique. The choice really depends on what look you are trying to achieve and how the item is going to be used once finished. I have been using the fusible interfacing method for quite a while now and I really like it. It's quick, it's easy, it gives the finished design a nice clean edge and it gives some body to the applique piece as well. I used this method for the cherries on these baby bibs, for one of the Splendid blocks, for this tote and some other projects. It's a nice and fun way to play with applique and does not require a lot of material or time.


Things you will need:
  • fabric scraps
  • light weight fusible interfacing
  • fabric pen
  • sewing accessories
  • your chosen design (I am making two simple cherries with one leaf that I drew as I went)

Step 1: Pin together the fusible side of the interfacing and the right side of the fabric scrap. Draw your design on the fabric. For the cherry, simply draw a slightly squashed circle.


Step 2: Set your machine to the shortest stitch and sew on the line all the way without leaving any gaps. Go as slow as you need to stay on the line. Cut off the excess of the seam allowance.


Step 3: With a seam ripper or embroidery scissors, cut a small slit in the middle through the interfacing, just big enough to turn the design out.


Step 4: If your design is small, then it's going to be quite fiddly. Very carefully turn the design the right side out. I use a small wooden chopstick and even my seam ripper sometimes to help me do that. With your fingers flatten the shapes slightly.


Step 5: Fuse the design in place with a hot iron and secure with a hand stitch. Once done, you can use a contrasting embroidery thread to "trace" the design around and add details like I did in the photo at the very top of this tutorial.


Very simple and fun! Happy appliqueing! Larisa xox

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this tutorial, Larisa. Yours is a much better way than the method I have used so I shall now have much neater applique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it, Dina! I find this method less time-consuming. Give it a try and see how you go. Have a wonderful day! xox

      Delete