Friday 20 May 2016

Afternoon Reading and Oaty Choc-Chip Cookies

While in the city today, I popped into Kinokuniya to check out the new arrivals of Japanese craft books and magazines. I was delighted to spot the latest issue of Japanese Stitch Idees magazine. It's a gem! I own only one very old copy of this magazine that I bought recently online. So it was a special treat to find this magazine available at the store.


This magazine is full of great ideas and inspirations, just like any Japanese craft book really is. My mind kept jumping from one idea to another. I wanted to make this and stitch that, but then I reminded myself that I really don't have much free time at the moment and I already have too many projects on my list. So all my new sewing and stitching ideas will have to wait till a better time, but still I am hoping to squeeze one or two on my list.


For now I am going to enjoy just looking at the pictures and dreaming, and sipping tea with our favourite Oaty Choc-Chip Cookies. They are really delicious. I found this recipe years ago in a magazine I don't remember the name of, but every time I bake them, they turn out nicely. Yummy and chewy while still hot right out of the oven or cool and crispy with a cup of tea or with a glass of cold milk. I am not going to keep this recipe all to myself, instead I am going to share it with you, my dear readers. So you too can enjoy some baking and a cup of tea with these delicious cookies.


Oaty Choc-Chip Cookies

125g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed cup (100g) brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/4 cups (110g) rolled oats
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
1/2 tsp salt
175g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
150g roasted hazelnuts, peeled, chopped (I usually skip nuts)

Preheat oven to 170°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

Using electric beaters, beat butter, sugars, and vanilla essence until pale and thick. Beat in egg until just combined. Using a wooden spoon, fold in oats. Sift flour, baking powder, soda and 1/2 tsp salt over the mixture. then fold in. When almost incorporated, fold in the chopped chocolate and hazelnuts.

Using a small ice-cream scoop, scoop balls of dough (about 1 heaped tablespoon) onto prepared trays 4cm apart. Flatten slightly, then bake (in two batches) for about 10 minutes or until golden. The cookies will feel soft, but will crisp as they cool.

Yum yum! Have a wonderful weekend! Larisa xox

3 comments: